Photobucket

Chargers...uh...running back Darren Sproles...uh...uh....knows English...uh...uh...sort of.

3.06.2008

KJ to challenge Obama as best African-American basketball player in politics

Three-time NBA All-Star and dunk-o-matic Kevin Johnson* will be running for mayor in his hometown of Sacramento, a oddly foreign city which declares itself the capital of California (Is this the plot of some Will Ferrell movie or something?!).

Photobucket
This fade is gettin' federal on yo ass.

I usually don't like it when athletes become politicians. Coached athleticism really shouldn't be an advantage to any legislator, no matter what district, state, or department. However, I may consider Johnson as a rare exception to that rule. The man simply known as "KJ" was one of the first NBA icons that I remember from my childhood. I was around 5 years old when I secretly wanted that sweet fade on my head just like Johnson. Unfortunately, I never got that fade and some bald, white guy named Jason Kidd replaced KJ.

However, as a politics major, I now may be able to reconnect my childhood ties with the former Suns guard in future. Who knows? Maybe you'll see a 2024 Johnson-Hsu ticket with the campaign slogan "Rock the Fade."

- K.H.

*Not to be confused with heavily moustached Browns wide reciever Kevin Johnson.

No comments: