Photobucket

Chargers...uh...running back Darren Sproles...uh...uh....knows English...uh...uh...sort of.

6.07.2008

In defense of Paul Pierce

Although I've lived in LA my entire life, I've been a Celtics fan for eight long years and I've always considered Paul Pierce my favorite player. However, he has come close to being replaced during these playoffs mainly because he's guilty of what I consider a mortal sin in sports: flopping. Yes, I will admit it, during these playoffs, Pierce has flopped, he's flailed, he's even done the Vlade every now and then.

And yes, I do agree that the whole "popped"-knee-wheelchaired-off-come-back-with-Rocky-music-playing was unnecessarily dramatic. I agree that he probably didn't need to be carried off (well at least Brian Scalabrine did something) like a pregnant woman in labor. And I agree that his knee probably wasn't and isn't that sprained, if it is at all. And by the looks of it, so does Pierce.

Photobucket
"Ten years in hell and I get this?! Why, Brian, why?!"

But I do not agree that "The Truth" is a a) bitch, b) crybaby, c) pussy, d) baby, e) any other derogatory term that isn't exactly flattering. Trust me, living in LA, I've heard all of them.

Because throughout the past eight years, Pierce endured playing with starting lineups that included the likes of Raef LaFrentz and Jiri Welsh. He endured six years tag teaming with the NBA's worst crybaby Antoine Walker. He endured four coaches, none of them very good. He endured the infamous season last year, in which they did not even land either Kevin Durant or Greg Oden (thank god).

Hell, the guy even got stabbed eleven times once. ELEVEN TIMES!

...IN THE FACE!

So, basically, he endured a lot of stuff that would've forced a lot more than one trade demand from Kobe, who told his fans he had to leave after one bad season.

And how many times did Pierce publicly announce a desire to be traded from the hellhole of Boston? Well, if he has at all, I don't remember it at all.

This is not about his comparison to Kobe (I know what Kobe has that Pierce doesn't). Yes, ten years in purgatory doesn't justify an over dramatic scene that should never have happened.

But in the Finals, especially during most intense season of my lifetime, we all get a little hypnotized by the drama. Flailing our arms just a little more, falling a little louder on the hardwood, screaming a little more often.

Lebron did it. Rip did it. Ronny Turiaf has been doing it all season. I mean, this is the NBA, where even Robert Horry is still creating drama.

And Pierce is no different. And neither is everyone around him. I'm certain the Celtics superstar didn't tell the trainers "I need to be carried off and I need a wheel chair NOW!" With the entire nation gasping (or cheering) once he fell awkwardly, the rest of the series of events happened inevitably.

Pierce falls, he looks like he is pain, he gets wheelchaired off, he realizes that it's not as bad as it felt in front of millions of viewers, he returns to the court a la Willis Reed, he drains two threes in a row, Celtics win, David Stern sleeps easily.

Like all the drama in the world, it just sorta happened. And the spectators are as much to blame as Pierce because at the end of such an incredible season, we (Pierce included) don't want anything to come easy. Especially a championship.

And again, the guy got stabbed eleven times!

- K.H. (Never thought he would ever type the name Jiri Welsh again)

4 comments:

2001raptors said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
2001raptors said...

To respond to one of your points about Kobe Bryant's trade demands. He did not demand the trade based on "one bad season". The Lakers did not make the playoffs in 2005 (mostly due to injury), and were knocked out in round 1 in 2006 and 2007. Meanwhile, Kobe Bryant had to settle for playing with the likes of Kwame "Butterfingers" Brown and Smush "I need a real first name" Parker. You wouldn't be frustrated?

Anyways, in regards to the Pierce situations, here are my thoughts, via my blog http://canadianballer.blogspot.com (sorry for the plus, but you gotta start somehow).

acnefighter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kenny said...

Yes, but Kobe enjoyed three championships in a city that has embraced him pretty well (95% of the time). Not to say Boston hasn't embraced Pierce, who's best sidekick in the past 10 years has been Antoine "Ugly Face" Walker, but his city cares more about the Red Sox and Ivy League education than basketball.

But again, I didn't write this post to bash Kobe. As a born LA native, I'm born to love the guy.

- K.H